Scarlet: Time synchronization via ntp

dummzeuch

Scarlet: Time synchronization via ntp

Post by dummzeuch »

I have tried to configure time synchronization via ntp with a time server running on the PC to which the system is connected (directly). It seemed to work for some time but after a restart of the Scarlet system the time is no longer synchronized.

I have made sure that the ntp server works with

ntpdate -q <ip address of that PC>

from a LInux box in the LAN.

Is there any way to trouble shoot this problem? I found nothing in the log on time synchronization.

It's not a show stopper but it would be nice to have some useful values in the time stamps.

edit: This is the output of the status page:

remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter
==============================================================================
192.100.114.1 .LOCL. 1 u 23 64 377 1.740 +169020 2.980

associd=0 status=c016 leap_alarm, sync_unspec, 1 event, restart,
system peer: 0.0.0.0:0
system peer mode: unspec
leap indicator: 11
stratum: 16
log2 precision: -21
root delay: 0.000
root dispersion: 0.000
reference ID: .
reference time: (no time)
system jitter: 0.000000
clock jitter: 0.000
clock wander: 0.000
broadcast delay: -50.000
symm. auth. delay: 0.000

192.100.114 is the IP address of the network card of the PC that is connected to the Scarlet system.
k.schauwecker

Re: Scarlet: Time synchronization via ntp

Post by k.schauwecker »

Hi,

has there been a significant time jump on the computers clock when it restarted? To me it looks like NTP is not syncing as the offset between the clocks is too high (almost 3 minutes). If you disable NTP sync in the settings and enable it again, does the synchronization start working again?

Btw: if you have the possibility I would recommend using PTP instead of NTP, as it allows for a much more accurate clock synchronization in a local network.

Best regards,
Konstantin
dummzeuch

Post by dummzeuch »

k.schauwecker wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:42 am has there been a significant time jump on the computers clock when it restarted? To me it looks like NTP is not syncing as the offset between the clocks is too high (almost 3 minutes).
Since the computer itself uses Windows time synchronization, I doubt that its time has changed very much during reboot.
But: Do you mean the offet between the computer and the Scarlet system? That one is very large indeed, because after a restart the Scarlet's time is 1970-01-01 (start of Unix time).
k.schauwecker wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:42 am If you disable NTP sync in the settings and enable it again, does the synchronization start working again?
No, I already tried that multiple times. I also restarted the Scarlet system and the computer several times (both and only one of them at a time).
k.schauwecker wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:42 am Btw: if you have the possibility I would recommend using PTP instead of NTP, as it allows for a much more accurate clock synchronization in a local network.
This is a Windows 10 computer. I was surprised that it even can be configured as an NTP server. Googlng for PTP server on Windows 10 only returned hits about how to configure it as a client. I'm not really that concerned about the time accuracy, but having the correct date and the UTC time with a precision of a minute would be nice.

(Sorry for taking so long to respond, I didn't notice you had already answered. I'll turn on notification now.)
k.schauwecker

Post by k.schauwecker »

Could you share the settings file, which you can download from the maintenance page of the web interface?
dummzeuch

Post by dummzeuch »

k.schauwecker wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:25 pm Could you share the settings file, which you can download from the maintenance page of the web interface?
Yes, I could, but you already have it. I sent it to you yesterday. I'm the guy from Schniering GmbH with the Calibration issue.